In order to reproduce, mould produces tiny particles called spores. Spores are carried in the air and may cause health problems if inhaled by people who are sensitive or allergic to them. These include a running or blocked nose, irritation of the eyes and skin and sometimes wheezing. Occasionally, people may have more severe reactions. People may even develop a mould infection, usually in the lungs.
For people with asthma, inhaling mould spores may cause an asthma attack.
If you or your family members suffer health problems after coming into contact with mould, contact your doctor.
Prevention is better than a Cure
Mould loves damp conditions with poor ventilation.
With most people at school or work during the week, homes dont often get a chance to fully ventilate and dry out until weekends.
Bathrooms are notorious for introducing moisture into bedrooms. Areas with low air movement such as behind beds in wardrobes and corners of rooms are perfect conditions for mould to grow. Wet towels or clothes left in a basket or on the floor, damp shoes returned to wardrobes all increase opportunities for mould to thrive.
Clothes dryers should be vented externally or used in the garage to prevent the water evaporating from clothes being pumped into your home. Never hang your wet clothes inside to dry unless it is the bathroom with the door shut and an external window open.
Fish tanks and indoor plants - evaporate water into rooms
Leaking pipes, taps and shower recesses - shower recesses should be re siliconed every 6 months to prevent leakage.
Blocked gutters and downpipes overflow back into roof cavities causing major issues in ceilings and are a major cause of mouldy ceilings.
Humans breath 1.4 litres of water into the air every day !
Remember stay safe this winter keep your home moisture free and well ventilated to reduce the risk of mould having a chance to take over and making you and your family sick .